Wednesday, August 19, 2015

[CRAFTING, crochet] Jute Coasters Update

After finishing the first jute coaster, I was curious how it would compare to one made as written.

Jute on left, acrylic worsted yarn on right.

The jute coaster is 5" in diameter, weighs 1.2 oz, and took over two hours to hook.
As described on the previous post, I needed to modify the pattern for size, down to only four rounds from seven.  I used a Magic Ring instead of a chain round, worked the first cluster round with fewer loops, and then dropped one cluster round and one border round entirely.

The yarn coaster is 4.5" in diameter, weighs 0.3 oz, and only took forty-five minutes to hook with all seven rounds.

Stacked, for diameter comparison.

Doing this comparison gave me confidence that I made the right choice for materials and pattern tweaks.  I'll definitely work with a DK or worsted weight yarn for inside-the-house and gift coaster sets, while the heavier jute will be perfect for use on our screened porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment