Monday, March 31, 2014

[COSPLAY] Spirited Away - Haku's Fundoshi pt.1, "The Test Run"

The reference pictures from which I'm working for the Haku costume suggest a shorts-and-tee version of the hippari and monpei under the more visible pieces.  That would make these costumes three to four layers of clothing in total.  These costumes will be worn at summer conventions in the southeast USA by a person who abhors hot temperatures and con funk, though, so effective heat dispersion is a necessity.  With that in mind, the decision was made to forego the two piece underwear on the Haku drawings in favor of an etchÅ« fundoshi, a historical Japanese undergarment for males, and a long inner tunic-vest instead of the two darker blue pieces.  Three fewer layers at the waist should up the con-comfort factor considerably.

The example from which I'm working: The Sharefun.JP Etchufundoshi
If you're curious, you can learn more about various forms of fundoshi HERE, or HERE
or HERE (if you want to giggle at the *gleams* coming off Fundoshi Boy in the How To Wear It section).

On a recent trip to Joann Etc during their post-New Year sale, the Boy purchased the Fiskars 3-pc Rotary Cutting Set for me.  I already had the smaller rotary cutting stick from Fiskars, but I'd nearly given up using it.  I had tried lining it up with a yardstick, but the side-bolt on the rotary cutters sits just below the height of the yardstick edge, so perfect lines were eluding me, not to mention the amount of cardboard I was chewing through trying to get neat fabric strips without ruining the table.  This ruler and mat eliminate those problems entirely.  This is definitely one of those tool combos that you never knew you needed until you have it and then wonder how you ever crafted without it once you've used it.  These tools will be invaluable as I cut the fabric for the the Haku fundoshi.

My new favorite tools: Fiskars 3-pc Rotary Cutting Set

While we were at Joann's, and while the Boy was browsing buttons and simulated gems for another project, I discovered in the Fabric Remnants Bin a near complete yard of baby-soft natural linen.  Hooray for half-off on expensive fabric!  I also found a half yard of cotton with an ivory and brown medallion design reminiscent enough of ikat weave fabrics that I could justify using it for the ribbon on Haku's etchÅ« fundoshi.



Before cutting up my nice linen, though, I wanted to do a test run of the basic fundoshi pattern, so I cut up an old t-shirt to use as the fabric for my pattern test.  Most sites recommend a strip of fabric measuring 14"W x 40"L for the main body of this piece, but I was concerned more with construction on this first attempt than perfect stitches or measurements (since the pattern dimensions might have to be adjusted anyway).  After cutting off the top of the t-shirt from the armholes up and also cutting off the bottom hem, I was left with a rectangle roughly 16"W x 32"L.  Plenty for my test run!  After opening up the bottom hem piece, I also had a ribbon-esque strip long enough to use as the waist tie.


I did a row of zigzag stitching around all three "exterior" sides of the main piece so the well-worn and woefully distressed fabric won't unravel.  Then I tucked the center of one short end of the main piece into the fold of the "ribbon" and pinned both pieces together all along that short edge.



After that, I used a row of zigzag stitches (because they're what I need the most practice with right now) to sew the ribbon to the main body, and DONE!



After trying it on, the Boy said that it was super comfy, but suggested that the ties would hold better if they were longer and if the main body was closer to the standard length instead of my test run scrap length.  I got congratulatory kisses for my efforts, though, and the Boy said he's looking forward to seeing the finished piece, so I consider the test run a whopping success!

No comments:

Post a Comment